Friday, January 29, 2010

Home Fix-Its


We got BabyGirl one of the Fisher-Price Chatter Phones for Christmas. I had one as a baby and my mom says it was one of my favorite toys. We thought it would be fun to get one for BabyGirl too. The only problem was, they had redesigned some parts, including the cord that runs from the earpiece to the base. It was a little piece of curly elastic that stretched to less than 6 inches. It is probably a safety thing, but who can use a phone when the cord barely reaches away from the base? I decided to make a new one. I unscrewed the earpiece and the base and removed the old cord and replaced it with a crocheted one. Now it is about 12 to 14 inches long and can actually be used like a phone. We are sure to supervise her while playing anyway, so I'm pretty sure my little fix-it is safe. Here are the directions for anyone who wishes to make their own telephone cord.

Crochet Telephone Cord

Chain stitch for about 14 inches
Work 3 double crochet in each chain to the end
Weave in ends

I then tied a knot in each end to secure it in the slots in the phone. These curly-cues are great for lots of things. Make many 1 or 2 inch versions in a cream colored yarn for pretend pasta. Green fuzzy yarn spirals make fun caterpillars. Hair accessories, present decorations, luggage identifying bows, pretty soon, everything will have a curly-cue!

No comments:

Post a Comment